Monday, September 8, 2008

Solution Examples

When we bought our current home about seven years ago, it had parquet flooring*. You may not be familiar with parquet because it was only very popular in the seventies, along with wood paneling and avocado appliances. So let me say that this particular hardwood floor was, um, so say it politely, Uglier Than Sin! It was kinda like a 4" wooden tile, except in a little circle pattern. It reminded me of an old basketball court, if they even had those... Let's just say we weren't all that excited about our expansive and dated hardwood floor.

We loved the house, though. Looking back it was probably the chocolate chip cookies the realtor was baking as we walked through the open house. It may be cliche, but it works. If ever you want to show off your house, just bake cookies as guests arrive. They'll love your home, and not even know why!

But I do digress...

I had a problem. We were steadily moving into the 21st century and my floor was stuck with John Travolta in his white polyester. To make matters worse, the floor took up the largest chunk of my home. My kitchen, dining room and foyer was one aged parquet glob. To replace the stuff would cost more than a large SUV.

Solution: Paint. My husband thought I was insane, as he usually does when I present him with solutions. "You don't paint hardwood floors!" he said. Then again, considering his options were to embrace the 70's craze or the price of an island in the carribean, he gave me the go-ahead. Porch n' Floor paint from Home Depot was the secret. I used the colors from my china as the inspiration. You might not already know, Home Depot can match paint to anything you bring to them (pretty handy when you choose a shoe, or a picture of a baby giraffe, like I did for the nursery).

Since my son was 5 months old, and I didn't have anything else to do, I made a checkerboard pattern diagonally across the floor. Me and Painter's Tape became best friends. Two coats of Polyurathane and all my patience later, we had a unique conversation piece that lasted six years. Recently I decided we needed another update and I gave my parquet another color infusion and a whole new new look.

I know one day, after I win the lottery, we'll spend our Escalade money and replace the entire kitchen. We've already picked out the aged cherry floors we want to go to with the new cabinets and stainless steel appliances. My kitchen will, no doubt, be awesome. I know, then, I'll be just a little sad. What will I paint then?!

*Not all parquet is ugly, in fact, it can be quite beautiful if done right and not forty years old.
If you're curious, check this out... http://www.pavexparquet.com/

No comments: